Monday, July 6, 2009

Barcelona

I've only been here for a few hours but I have already fallen in love with Barcelona.

Jackie and I parted ways this morning in Prague. It was incredibly hard to see her go, not only because I didn't know when I was going to see her again but also because I knew that traveling solo will commence again. So the flight was a bit somber, but as soon as I got to my hostel (complete with free wifi AND bean bag chairs... hells yeah) I perked up immediately. I walked over to the bottom of Las Ramblas and saw the Columbus monument (I swear, every city in Western Europe claims to be the home of Columbus or has his bones... ). The monument is the start of Las Ramblas which is the main strip in town that connects everywhere to everywhere. Its lined with palm trees and when the warm breeze sweeps by its hard to think of a place I'd rather be.


I ate at a very small tapas bar off the main strip and it just may be one of the best places I've EVER . Let me try to set the scene: The entire area in front of the bar is only about 2 people wide but was very long. The counters are laden with plates of different kinds of "pinchos" held together with a toothpick. The bartender gives you a plate and asks what color of wine you want. You eat standing up, grabbing what ever looks good. Occasionally a small woman walks by with a plate of pinchos hot from the oven. When you're done, they count the number of toothpicks left on your plate and charge you by that. I chatted with a man from France. It was nice.

I'm so thankful for hostels. Its like being a freshmen in the dorms again. Everybody wants to make friends and know what your story is. Its a lot less lonely than a B and B. Tomorrow- Barri Gotic and the market.

1 comment:

  1. I love Barcelona too! All my memories of it are sort of warm and golden, Salamanca too...Maybe we should move there?

    ReplyDelete