Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pretzel Love.

Some fun facts about pretzels...

  1. Pretzels were originally made to resemble the arms of praying Christian monks. Apparently people used to pray with their arms crossed. Weird.
2. People in Philly eat 200 lbs of them a year. Ironic?

3. Lye is a pretty strong base (NaOH) that is used to turn the dough to the deliciously caramel color.

Hazardous and Christian.... How dangerously heavenly.

I made them and then ate them warm, which made my day a little less lonely. The emotional connection I had with these warm pieces of dough seemed to be far more developed that it should have been. Let me explain:
I love baking, I love being in the kitchen, and therefore I love my job. I bake all day, taste incredible food and make people happy. It's great. But it seems like at the very instant I leave Brandy's, I go from blissful happiness to grumpy grandma. I transform from a chatty smiling Kristine to one who is short tempered and petulant. I don't want to be around anybody and frankly, I doubt they want to be around me. All I feel like doing is going home to sit on my couch and drink tea...alone. I think it's just a way that I am dealing with all of this change. Change in life style, change in a home and change in my relationships. But these pretzels made me happy.



I made the them on my day off. It was 4pm and I hadn't seen anybody for almost 24 hours. And when my little creations came out of the oven, they were warm and soft and comfortable and I couldn't get annoyed with them because they were perfect and lifeless. Sometimes I need something perfect and lifeless (i.e. a book, music, food, ect.) and I semi fell in love with these.
Maybe you will too?


Obviously I do not have lye around my house, but I do have baking soda (also a base: NaHCO3) which worked like magic.
Easily lovable soft pretzels
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
1 tbsp sugar
  • Combine this in your standing mixer's bowl and allow to "bloom". The yeast will expand and will look like foam when its ready. In another bow mix:
4 1/2 cup flour (I used non bleached all purpose)
2 tbsp salt
  • Add this to the bloomed yeast and mix with your dough hook. Make sure not to mix it for too long. Doing that will make tough pretzels and nobody likes tough pretzels. The dough should come together into a ball that gives a little when you push on it with your fingers.
  • Oil a spot on your counter and let the dough rise there (with the mixer bowl on top of it) for about 1 hour. Note: Although you may want to knead the crap out of it, leave your anger out of this and find something else to pound your problems away on.
  • Bring a big pot of water with about 1/2 cup of baking soda to a boil. Meanwhile divide the dough into 8 chunks and roll into a rope and shape it however you want. While rolling out all the 8 pieces, put the already shaped pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and under a damp kitchen towel to keep them moist.
  • Place 1 or 2 pretzels at a time into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, flip them over for a bit more then take them out. Brush them with an egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.
  • Bake them at 450* for about 12 min (or until caramely brown) .
  • Eat. And fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment