Friday, October 1, 2010

New Things

OMG. So much has happened since I last blogged.

First, and most importantly:
I am no longer a vegan. And I am no longer hungry every 5 minutes. My recent reunion with cheese was glorious to say the least. I indulged in a simple breakfast of birdman toast, a farm fresh egg (thanks to my lovely farm friends) and freshly grated parm for the 1st meal back. It was like heaven in my mouth. But then again, after eating a month of peanut butter toast and soy sausage patties, anything is going to taste like heaven in my mouth.

I was eating a lot of blueberry, acai, spinach protein smoothies. Which is probably the only that I will continue to eat on a regular basis (acai, blueberries, spinach, coconut ice cream (vegan!), soy yogurt, soy milk and soy protein- try it, its delicious. Yes, I know there are way to many soy products in this and yes, there is a slight chance that you might turn into a women if you're a male, but thats a risk you're going to have to be willing to take....for a smoothie...).
Tomatoes were coming into their peak season, so I was slicing those up with some olive oil and basil and eating it on some french baguette. And while this is delicious and fresh, I couldn't help but think how much better it would be with a slice of Manchego...
So, thats basically what I ate for a month. Smoothies, peanut butter toast and tomatoes. Oh and spinach salads. Can't forget those....

I'm just so glad it's over.

And in term of enlightenment? Sadly, there was no "ah-ha!" moment I was hoping for, no light bulb glowing over my head, and no revelatory dreams. But I will say that I have gained some clarity within my life. A sense of ease, you could say. My daily life finally has some purpose (climate change/ public outreach coordinator for the MT Audubon. If this job isn't purposeful, I dont know what is....). And from that purpose, I have found comfort in knowing that I am contributing to society in a very positive way. Obviously, the clarity gained was not a direct outcome of being vegan. It just happened to coincide with the challenge. Or did it?....

Also, my Mom is still a smoker.

Next piece of news:
I bought another bike. A cross bike. And I raced it. In a cross race. And I loved it! Well... during the race, I hated it. But when it was over, I had a ball. I'm going to doing it again tonight.
I cannot express to you the fear that is now welling up inside my chest at the though of it. I am scared of the pain that I will be enduring this evening, the anxiety that I will experience all day long at the prospect of eating crap on one of the barriers and knowing that I will grin and bear all of it only place last. But all of that doesn't matter after I cross the finish line. Because, that's when I realize (forgetting the pain and suffering completely) that I, in fact, had a good time. I imagine this feeling to be similar to child birth...

Next news piece:
I am planning an event for 350.org. It's quite the task. If there is one thing I have learned from it is this: Don't relay on college students to perform important tasks. Or any tasks for that matter. Yes, I realize that I was JUST a college student, but since I have received a diploma I feel that this gives me certain rights to smash on people who are still in school.... They are terrible at following through! They say they're "really pumped up" (direct quote) about helping out, but then don't pull through when they're needed. Come on you guys! Get it together! I know you have time and I know that you care, so please go hang up posters around town because I don't want to!

So this Event: Its on 10/10/10 and its called the Global Work Party and you are going to be there. There are events all around Missoula to better our community, raise awareness about climate change, and show our leaders what we are concerned. Our message is this: "We're working the ground in Missoula to plants seeds here, our state capital and D.C." I helped come up with that slogan. Yeah, I know its pretty good. Check it out!

Also: I finally made apple butter. It's something that I've been wanting to do forever and ever. And since I have farm friends, I got to pick my own apples! It was/is delicious and SO easy to make! See below for instructions!

Apple butter:
5 lbs of apples cored, pealed and chopped
2 cups of sugar (I used 1.5 cups of agave nectar, but its super pricey and sugar will work just the same)
Cinnamon, a bit of allspice and some freshly grated nutmeg.

Put all of this in a crock pot. turn it on high, cover it, and leave it for 1 hour. Then turn it down to low and leave it for 9-12 hours. Then take the lid of and continue cooking for 1 more hour (or more. This step thickens it).
I left mine over night, and when I checked it in the morning it appeared to have burned on the bottom and the apples chunks held they shape. But then I stirred it and it turned into this creamy, dark brown, beautiful goo that tastes like autumn heaven. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment