Sunday, June 28, 2009

Amsterdam

I don't think I've ever seen as many beautiful people than I have here. Every woman is tall, blond and skinny with great bone structure and every man, even the really old ones, are good looking. How do they do it while smoking cigarettes and drink beer all day long?
We rented bikes to get us around the city which seemed like a great idea but little did we know the bikers here have a set of strict rules and are very aggressive riders. There was always so much more bike traffic than car or foot traffic AND we didn't know the biking etiquette so we got a few too many bells dinged and heads shook at us. and I thought I was good on a bike....

We did, however get to see a lot of the town because of our bikes. It's so romantically beautiful here. At night, the canals light up and it sets this warm mood along the cobble stone streets. During the day, its so lively and colorful. The hollyhocks are blooming all along the sides of the tall brick buildings.

The Anne Frank House must be the most heart wrenching and important museum in all of Europe, maybe even the world. The emotion and realization that it offers people is something that everybody needs to experience. My understanding of the war and of Jewish faith is deepened considerably. It was very difficult not only to walk through that house, but also to process it for the rest of the day and I think maybe the rest of my life. I have taken more away from that "museum" than any other place I've ever been. This is NOT an overstatement.

Today we are taking a train to Prague. Its 14 hours and cost 270 euros for 2 tickets!! I couldn't believe how expensive it was. But really, we have no other choice.

p.s. We ate Indonesian last night and I think I might have found my new favorite kind of food... its SO GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Kristine, What a great adventure and you write so descriptively. Enjoy! Susan A

    ReplyDelete