Friday, June 19, 2009

Copenhagen

Its feels like a movie set. These tall multi colored buildings that go on for rows and rows and blocks and block surround huge green, copper statues of men on horses. There are flower markets and produce markets on every corner. The coffee shops and bakerys are all so incredibly delicious. And the bikes! Bikes everywhere! Excellent bike lanes with there own turning lanes and stop lights. I love it!

It was quite the journey getting here. I flew in to Billund, Denmark because my ticket cost zero euro. In reality I probably could have flown into Copenhagen because the hotels in Billund are insanely expensive. 130 euro expensive to be exact. Anyway, its was a nice quiet town. I went running and I found a trail that took me outside the town to these beautiful oat fields. The roads were lined with rose bushes and the smell of them was so intense! It brought me back to my mom's roses in her garden and playing in the yard of our old house. It got me really sad.
I had to catch a bus and then a train and then another bus to get here. When I got off at my final stop, I looked around and started to. I was in the middle of the city and there were no signs of a bed and breakfast at all. Just lots of Arabic people. I'm not hating...but I did feel a bit uncomfortable. I had the address to the place, but apparently in Europe, they don't believe in street signs. I still don't know why. After about 10 minutes of wandering with my pack on I started to tell myself that this was the worst idea ever, coming to a big foreign city alone. What was I thinking? I'm probably going to have to sleep on the streets.
Luckily, before I got too panicky, I found the apartment building and started buzzing all the floors. What else was I supposed to do?! All of the name on the bells didn't match the name of the b & b. So I tried them all and finally found the right one. He let me up and then told me he wasn't expecting me until next month. WTF, I just emailed him the night before and told him I would be seeing him tomorrow. Well anyway, he said it wasn't a problem, I could stay here until the 23. A little sketchy....
The apartment was hazy from all the cigarette smoke he was producing and my eyes instantly started to water. He showed me around his little 1 bedroom flat that did not fit the description or pictures from his website. He sleeps in the "living room" which has a single bed in it, I sleep in the only actual bed room and there is this Italian man who is sleeping in the "2nd bedroom" which is really my closet. His website makes it sound like a roomy home in the copenhagen suburbs... but its definitely not. And a few minutes ago a spanish couple showed up and they are now staying in his room (or the "living room" that has now just turned into the 3rd bedroom. Convenient.) and he is going to stay in his sail boat. Weird. Oh and... no breakfast. So its literally just a bed. Not a bed and breakfast.
It's $200 for 5 nights. and I kinda effed up. He asked for the money of my stay at the beginning and stupidly I gave it to him. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have said I would pay for a couple nights and then see. But I didn't. Damn. I know, I know. I'm complaining and I'm making it sound a lot worse than it is. Actually, my description is quite correct. But its really not THAT bad. I have a kitchen I can cook in. Its really close to the center of the city AND I've learned a few lessons already: 1. Don't stay in a place that doesn't have reviews (good or bad). 2. Don't pay for 5 days up front. 3. I'm allergic to ciggy smoke.
I rented a bike and explored a little bit yesterday. Today I got a croissant and a coffee and ate it by the canal. Then I went to the National Museum and explored a bit more.
I don't know about traveling alone.... Its empty.
picture 1: my lunch on a bridge over a canal full of beautiful old boats floating by
picture 2: my bff for the next 4 days. His name is Tak (the only danish word I know- means thank you....).

1 comment:

  1. Buck up, little soldier, travelling is an adventure! You should definitely go to the crazy park area. I can't remember what it's called, but it is where they sell the weed and what not. You could probably just follow the dirty hippie looking folks on the bus there.

    ReplyDelete