Saturday, June 6, 2009

Yesterday our goal was to get into Scotland, so most of the day was spent in the car. I'm not complaining. The English country side is so incredibly beautiful. Once we got outside Manchester's sprawling outskirts, we found rural England and I don't think I would ever get tired of watching it go by. The Serene pastures that collide dramatically with rugged cliffs and steep mountains are both calming and belittling. Miles and miles of stone fences line the fields speckled with sheep. People must have been on this land since the begining of time. I can't seem to grasp the age of this country and the culture along with it.

We stopped at a cafe in the middle of nowhere England and met a girl from Fresno who used to spend her summers in Missoula. She lives here with her English husband now. Small world? Hells yes.

Today we made it up to a place called Helensbrough. Its a small town by the sea that doesn't have much but a run down bed and breakfast with wireless internet and a moldy shower. It's actually not that bad. We saw a couple castles today. We also found some ruins of a castle, but come to find out, they were build as ruins. Apparently in the Victorian era it was hip to build ruins on your property. Weird.

I really want to get up to the North Highlands and Shetland Islands so we're going to spend a couple hours of straight driving to get up there. Its tough being the navigator (my dad won't let me drive) because I have to choose our route and decide which places to stop at. I don't like the responsibility. If the route sucks, then its totally my fault. Luckily no route sucks but still... what if.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy it is BEAUTIFUL, you have painted a wonderful picture in my head. Just wish i could be there to see it with you!!!!!! we really need to go on a trip you and me...it would be fun !!!!! AND don't worry i don't think you could ever pick a wrong direction when just traveling how ever you want to...and i know that where ever you go you will see the beauty in it...so no wrong. Hope your having fun...tell your dad hi for me! - LOVE EMILY

    ReplyDelete