Saturday, November 21, 2009

The hardest part

I hate this part. Right before the trip. When everything is scattered everywhere and I can't find anything. When I only have a few hours to complete the last few essential tasks (like booking a hotel room, printing my tickets and making sure everything is clean and packed) I seriously consider canceling the trip. For some reason, in my wacky head, I think canceling would be easier and better than packing. But luckily the more rational part of my brain stays strong and gets me through it!

I've been at this whole traveling thing for a while now and while I was laying in bed last night, I thought about how incredibly lonely I am right now, with no familiarity or home. At the moment my heart sank as I realized I had nobody to comfort me, hold me and listen to me. But then I was hit by this wave of complete pride. I don't need that! I can't 100% take care of myself and do this all by myself. That is what I need to focus on when I'm sad and lonely. That is how I will stay positive when I'm struggling up a Himalayan peak. Happiness and goodness with pursue if I remember how successful I am at being independent.

A few wise men once said:
"It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come."

I've been meditating on this for a day or two. Having a good heart has to be the golden key of life. A good heart for others and a good heart for yourself? That must mean happiness. Is this the answer to what I've been searching for? Why I've been traveling and putting myself in uncomfortable places? It is certainly possible. I just didn't think it would be this simple.

Goal for Nepal, India and Thailand: To have a good heart no matter the situation, to take each moment with grace and to remember my Independence in times of loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment