Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Visa

At least its over. At least the anxiety and the pain of anticipation of getting a visa is gone. All that I am left with is more anxiety...

As I was secretly expecting we did not get the visas for India. It would take 5 days to "process" and we only had 4. I begged and pleaded and asked if there was anything... ANYTHING I could do to expedite it. But, alas, they refused and my heart broke and the tears started. I could tell that the official behind the desk truly felt sorry for me, that's how I know I did everything I could...

After a morning of attempting to reorganize our trip, change flight dates and other stressful things of that natures, I happened upon the New Delhi airport websites. Then I found the immigration control website. Then I saw TLP - temporary landing permit. We are allowed into the country for 72 hours without a visa! Did you hear me?! We are allowed into India for 3 days WITHOUT A VISA! and you know what else? Our original tickets are for 3 days. But, like all things in life, there's a catch. They hold our passports while we are in the country. and the TLP is granted by the officer if he "feels satisfied by the purpose of our journey. It sounds like there is going to have to charm this officer. Big time. I'm not worried, I'm a pro at that.
So the anxiety that's replaced the initial anxiety is far less (albeit in this case, the risks are higher...we may have to stay in the New Delhi airport for 3 days.). We visited the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddah yesterday. The intense mid-day heat felt like it was beating down on us like a heat lamp on baby chickens. The sweat was condensing on the small of my back and my upper lip. But non of those unhygienic happenings that I am so aware of in America didn't seem to register. All I could think about was how that glorius sun was reflecting off of the millions of jewels that encrusted every inch of the buildings in front of me. The massive golden domes topped with a needle like spire, the many dazzling alters that shaded it's worshipers, the florid painted mythical guards that stood beside each entrance. It was all so unreal, so holy and so peaceful. These temples must be such a haven, such an oasis from the crazy, dirty city outside it's walls. Out there, rules are not followed, there is no order and chaos is normal. In there, rules are never broken and respect is customary.

No comments:

Post a Comment